• Globe-tavern

The Globe Tavern is situated in Crozier Place,  just up from the Public jetty, a first stop for seafarers past and present. The iron bars on the windows to prevent people being thrown out through them have not too long ago been removed, evidence of its tough past when sailing ships called in Stanley after many months at sea. (John Smith, An Historical Scrapbook of Stanley).

  • Jubilee-Villas
Jubilee Villas lie opposite the Public Jetty. This small terrace of houses was built in 1887 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria.


  • up-goose

Jacob Goss an enthusiastic supporter of Napoleon, anticipated the booming ship repair and supply trade the Falklands enjoyed from the 1850's He built a public house and five cottages which he named the 'Eagle Inn'. In 1871 Elaine Trellis, famous actress and beauty of her time was born there. Later the building was bought by Mr Dean and then the FIC who renamed it the 'Ship Hotel'. In 1969 Mr Des King bought it and its name was changed to the 'Upland Goose Hotel'. On his retirement the FIC ran it as such until 2008 when it was converted to flats.

  • Stanley-House

Stanley House was built in 1878, a residence for the Colonial Managers of the fledgling Falkland Islands Company, the biggest and most influential landowners and employers of the time. A large house was needed to accommodate and entertain visiting dignitaries and directors also farm managers. It boasted a tennis court, fine lawns and gardens and employed a considerable staff for domestic work and gardens. In 1970 the Government purchased it as a School Hostel for camp children. During the 1982 conflict it was occupied by Argentine forces then British for some months before reverting to a school hostel.

  • Stanley-Cottage

Next door to Stanley House and on the corner of Villiers Street and Ross Road is Stanley Cottage, one of Stanley's earliest buildings dating from 1844 when it was built as the residence of the Colonial Surgeon. In 1866 George Markham Dean, the Lloyds Agent and merchant (who was prospering during the days of sail when many ships failed to round the Horn and limped into the Falklands, many to be condemned), bought the cottage and he and his wife Orissa stylishly entertained there. After his death in 1888 Orissa remained there until after her death Les Hardy bought it and opened it as Stanley Cottage Tea Rooms. Select parties and receptions could be held there. Later it was bought for a house by the Luxton family and today it is offices for British Antarctic Survey and SAERI.




Can you add/ correct any information or supply any photographs, past or present?
Photographic credits: Header: Robert Maddocks. others Robert Maddocks, Jean Sinclair