Landmarks and attractions Stanley


  • dockyard3

The Dockyard and Museum

Stanley came in to being between 1843 and 1845 when Lieutenant Governor Moody, newly appointed and under orders to proceed to the Islands to carry out primary colonization, moved the seat of Government then at Port Louis (Anson) to the proposed new capital. The Government section was established on the west end of the new town on the harbour edge and became known as the ‘Dockyard’. Early immigrants were temporarily housed in Dockyard Cottage.

The Falkland’s Museum relocated to the Old Dockyard in September 2014 and is a major visitor attraction.

  • marine-barracks

The Old Marine Barracks

This building was originally sent from England to house 30 Chelsea Pensioners, their famillies and Staff Officer until their cottages were ready for them. It was built in 1848-49 ready for the Pensioners' arrival in October 1849.

  • pensioners-cottages4

Pensioners Cottages

30 Chelsea Pensioners and their families were intended to be Settlers for the new town of Stanley. They lived in the Barracks until the cottages were built. There are descendants of the Pensioners living in the Falklands today. Some of the Pensioners Cottages still stand today on Drury Street and Pioneer Row.

  • Cartmells-cottage

Cartmell's Cottage

In 1993 Nutt Cartmell gifted his Pensioner's Cottage to the Falklands Museum and National Trust. Parts of it are restored to how it was in 1850 and Private Thomas Verney and his family occupied it.

  • Police-cottages

The Police Cottages are on Ross Road and are of historic interest having being built in 1860 for members of the Police Force and their families. At first this row of houses was called ‘Constables Row’.


  • Jubilee-Villas
Jubilee Villas lie opposite the Public Jetty. This small terrace of houses was built in 1887 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria.


  • Whale-bone-arch

The magnificent whalebone arch stands on the Green by Christ Church Cathedral. It is formed by four blue whale jawbones, originally brought to the Falklands from the South Shetland Islands in 1922. The arch along with the green it stands on was presented to the community in 1933 by the Falklands Islands Company to commemorate a Century of British Rule

  • up-goose

Jacob Goss an enthusiastic supporter of Napoleon, anticipated the booming ship repair and supply trade the Falklands enjoyed from the 1850's He built a public house and five cottages which he named the 'Eagle Inn'. In 1871 Elaine Trellis, famous actress and beauty of her time was born there. Later the building was bought by Mr Dean and then the FIC who renamed it the 'Ship Hotel'. In 1969 Mr Des King bought it and its name was changed to the 'Upland Goose Hotel'. On his retirement the FIC ran it as such until 2008 when it was converted to flats.

  • Hutchies-slaughter-house

'Hutchies Slaughterhouse'

To the East of the town and below the Market garden, looking out towards the Narrows, is a small stone structure that is the remains of a furnace that was used to burn mutton bones when Bill Hutcheson operated a small slaughter house for the town in the 1940s.

  • Great Britain mast photograph by-Anton_Ivanov/
Victory Green is a grassy seafront running along the harbour between the sea wall and Ross Road, opposite Marmont Row. It was officially named to mark the victorious end to World War I in 1919. The Mizzen mast of the famous Great Britain is on display on the green. Previously the green was where Town Notices were displayed for the early residents of the fledgling town.
  • lighthouse

Cape Pembroke Lighthouse

Since the birth of Stanley in the 1840's Cape Pembroke has displayed warnings for shipping- the first only a wooden painted marker. In 1854, as shipping increased a cast iron lighthouse was installed. Today the light is a ground-mounted solar powered navigation aid.

  • battle-memorial
The 1914 Battle Memorial commemorates the sea battle between the German and British fleets on December 8th 1914 during the Great War . December 8th is still observed as a Public Holiday with services in memory in Christ Church Cathedral and a military parade at the memorial.
  • 1982-memorial

The 1982 Liberation Memorial stands at the junction of Ross and Reservior roads in Stanley and was built to honour the British Forces and supporting units.

The 1982 conflict.

  • atlantic-conveyor

Atlantic Conveyor Memorial

Near Cape Pembroke Lighthouse is the huge brass propeller from the MV Atlantic Conveyor, a container cargo ship which was hit by two Exocet missiles as she approached the Falklands with military equipment for the British forces during the 1982 conflict with Argentina. 12 men lost their lives. The propeller shaft is aligned on a magnetic bearing of 62° to point to where the ship came to rest 90 miles out from the islands.

Can you add/ correct any information or supply any photographs, past or present?
Photographic credits: Header: Robert Maddocks. others Robert Maddocks, Jean Sinclair
  • Totem-pole
  • Totem-pole
    Totem Pole

    This brightly coloured signpost, giving distances to various places in the world, stands on the Stanley bypass road, east of Stanley and en-route to Surf Bay. The pole was started by military personel after the 1982 conflict. Since then other visitors have continued to add to it.


  • boot-hill
  • boot-hill
    Boot Hill between Stanley and the local airport; people have been leaving an article of footwear there since after the 80's- no one is quite sure why but some say if you leave a boot there you will always return to the islands.