Port Stephens Port Stephens lies on the far south coast of West Falklands, on a large sheltered harbour in a rugged and scenic area. This was one of the few areas in the islands fortunate enough no to have been occupied during the 1982 conflict. Until 1989, when the Falkland Islands Company divided it into 5 units and sold it to former employees, Port Stephens was one of the Company’s largest sheep stations. Colonies of Rockhopper penguins and cormorants breed on the wild and dramatic coasts near Port Stephens. It is about 14 miles (9km) to Cape Meredith where there is an old lighthouse which was in service between the 1930’s and 1950’s. In 1874 George Markham Dean accepted he land of Port Edgar in settlement of a debt from C H Williams (£5000). In1892 Dean leased Port Stephens and Albemarle from the Government. At the time there was a dairy at Albemarle and sheep were also being farmed. The first farm manager was J F Huntziker, a Swiss who had previously been a missionary in South America. A manager’s house was built for him (the old store building). In 1945 Dean sold Port Stephens to the Falkland Islands Company. If you can add any information, stories, photographs or corrections to this page please contact: falklands.southatlantic@gmail.com Glimpses of the past At the time of its sale from Dean to the Falkland Islands Company in 1945 the settlement at Port Stephens had six houses counting the Manager’s house, a cookhouse, store, woodshed, killing shed, tryworks, carpenter’s workshop, blacksmiths shop, salt house/ skins shed, a dip shanty and yards. In 1964 the FIC bought Albemarle (but not the sealing station) for £21,000 (28,300 acres). This was added to Port Stephens farm to make it one of the FIC’s biggest holdings. J Spruce Falksbiog